Wednesday, March 12, 2014

There Must be an Internet Rule for This.

Anytime anyone posts a picture like this:


on a social media network, sooner or later some asshole will leave a comment that just says "Beautiful."

Yeah. I get it. You're deeply moved by the profound beauty of the cycle of existence and this practice of active reintegration of the human body into the food web. I mean, California Sky Burial is my dream disposal, so I'm with you on the incredibleness. Also those vultures swooping in are pretty majestic and the shot is very nicely composed. Plus, the butchering job is beautifully skilled. However, I think it's important to recognize that this is a picture of VULTURES FEEDING ON A CORPSE. A HUMAN CORPSE, no less. I can think of several different ways to describe vultures feeding on meat, but "beautiful" is not first among them.

Just writing "beautiful" and nothing else guarantees that I'm going to assume you want to sound profound and all in touch with the "darker side of nature" and shit but you'd tuck tail and run at the first scent of death.

I mean "scent of death" in the most literal fashion. The guy in the picture is quite fresh, so you'd not necessarily get any decomp smells, but raw meat/blood is not particularly the most appealing odor.

Yes I'm a death snob. Stop trying to glamorize death, people. Death is about as non-glamorous as you can get. It's messy and smelly and ridiculous. Also, it's not very exclusive. Death just lets EVERYONE into the club.

Be SEeing you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Wheaton's Law here or my wrath shall descend upon thee!!!