Monday, March 17, 2014

Zero for One

I got rejected from the Chico Master's program. I'm trying not to be down about this. I recognize that failure is one of the best ways to learn things, but I wish I didn't get the opportunity quite so often in regards to my academic career. I'm actually a little surprised. I was pretty sure that I was going to be accepted.
I'm giving a presentation this weekend at the Society for California Archaeology (SCA) conference. Not to be confused with the Society for Creative Anachronisms (SCA) con. Except apparently some people do make that mistake. I will be wearing my Star Trek uniform to the Silent Auction event that's apparently the big social do. Drunk archaeologists are pretty easy to confuse. I'm quite excited.
My presentation is about quantifying taphonomic conditions. Specifically, how one might describe the people at VMC in a scientifically rigorous manner. Working to put together a quantification system would make a pretty good Master's project. TOO BAD!
Oh, right: I'm presenting as part of a symposium on the Santa Clara County Valley Medical Center Potter's Field. Our moderator is Chico faculty and a member of the board that rejected me. Now I really have extra incentive to be AWESOME because I won't be applying there again, and I'm not above being a bit of an asshole and mocking their decision. I'm disappointed, but I also feel that it's their loss. I mean, the guys at Foothill can attest that I'd be an asset to any program, and all the archaeologists I've worked with can speak to my field experience and lab skills.  I mean, I've fucking run field labs. Also there's that little matter of my Criminal Justice training. And the fact that I was involved in a mass cemetery exhumation with an MNI of 1000+. I don't know what more you people want.

If I don't get into Indianapolis, my plans are:

1) stalk Steven Nawrocki (UIndy)
2) stalk James Pokines (BU)
3) stalk David O. Carter (Chaminade University)

In terms of employment, I will look into jobs as an autopsy technician and/or crime scene cleaner. I'm leaning toward crime scene cleaning if only because it utterly repulses my mom. This is not as easy as it may sound. She's has no problems with the autopsy idea. Crime scene cleaning would require physical labor, which would be nice.

Right now though, I have to get through the next two weeks. Things that are happening:
3/19: Cultures of North America potluck. I'm bringing polenta (w/ sunflower seeds) & maple syrup. Also a salad of Miner's Lettuce. Then I have to practice my presentation.
3/20: Spanish final oral exam. I still haven't come up with the story I'll be recounting. Should be studying Spanish rather than typing on a blog right now.
[3/20-23]: Travel to lovely Visalia for the conference.
3/26: Final exam for NA cultures
3/27: Spanish final
3/29: Huge fucking garden party at my house.

And I still need to figure out the samosas.

Be Seeing You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Wheaton's Law here or my wrath shall descend upon thee!!!