Monday, August 16, 2010

Old at an Early Age

How is it that AIM has become an antiquated form of communication? I've often wondered about the fact that I grew up in Silicon Valley and yet am a Neo-Luddite. ....Maybe I should rephrase that. Let's go with "a non-bomby Neoluddite". Beware the power of the Great Interwebs!! You too could have buried deep within thee a shared belief with a serial killer!
It will get progressively creepier if you subsequently recall that one of the two or three best talks you've attended while at The Great School of Existence was given by his brother.
Do you recall Theodore Kaczynski ?
I suppose where he felt anger and superiority, I feel sorrow. Lots and lots of sorrow. I think Yeats had it wrong. It's not Love and Death- it's Love and Sorrow.
I think people tend to misjudge me by the amount of shit I know. I may sound all classy referring to Yates and shit, but the truth is I only know that poem because it was made into a song by The Waterboys. Basically Mike Scott is a latter-day incarnation of Yeats. Except perhaps maybe even MORE barking mad. Also, I only know about The Waterboys because of the random tape we found in Old Champ (no, there is no link for that one. yet.) and I only know that song is a Yeats poem because my sister was awesome and took me to a concert in Ireland. So really, there's no class in any of that! Another fine example is the somewhat prodigious knowledge I have of Regency-period England. I might vaguely know the precedence of nobility titles and a fair amount about mourning costume and yes, some proper forms of address and dress, but the ONLY reason I know this stuff is because I adore Regency romance novels.
The knowledge gleaned from romance novels comes in handy sometimes (the historical details, you smutty-minded fools!), but I never expected to ever have any super productive use for the massive amount of information stored up from my years of reading countless sci-fi and fantasy novels. More the fool, me!

Look, interwebs: I'm already testing you. It would spoil the experiment if I were to expose you to any more insanity for this evening. It's time for a fateful appointment with a Dalek hat.

Be Seeing You.

Boil Update: Initial diagnosis very much in doubt now. The node has gotten harder and less painful. Showed it to my friend who's practically a doctor by now (literally) and she was just about as mystified as me. My guess is maybe the staph got in but my immune system killed it fairly quickly and so it just never developed to full boil stage. I will keep you updated because if you didn't actually want to know, you so could have skipped reading this part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Wheaton's Law here or my wrath shall descend upon thee!!!