Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Canal of Schlemm (Scleral venous sinus)

Should I be studying for my anatomy lab test tomorrow? YES. Am I kind of freaking out about it even though I should be fine and even if I bomb it, I'll still be able to salvage my grade? YES. Does this maybe have to do with insane hormones and also the headache/general exhaustion that sometimes rules my body? Probably. Will this entire post be semi-rhetorical questions that I opt to answer? Maybe. What are you going to do about it? Huh? Yeah. That's what I thought. 
I'm going to Ecuador for a month this summer to work on an archaeological project and work on community projects with the people of a small town about 20 min outside of Quito. This means I will be attempting to learn some Spanish, which I really should have done by now since I live in frikin' California. I mean, I know some super basic stuff, but not really anything useful. So that will be hilarious. Also I'm beginning to actually work with bones and death a lot more these days. That combined with all my anthro classes is leading to some interesting stuffs fomenting in my brain. 
Got two things in the mail this week: a Star Trek uniform (yes I have already worn it out in public. it is amazing) and a field guide to human osteology by Bill Bass. I asked Dan what books I should get to start learning about that stuff (osteology, not star trek) and he was like, "well this is essentially the Bible. I assume you're familiar with Bass?" My brain: "DUHHHHHHHH!!!!" My mouth said something less blunt, but only upon reflection do I realize that that reaction indicates how deeply I've absorbed forensic anthropology culture, for someone who's not even in the field yet. I have to wonder how many of the other students there (who were actually working on human osteology, even more so than me, though I feel like I'm beginning to edge my way into taking possession of the research into the stuff from CA-SCI-354...we'll see about that, since the thought only just occurred to me), but I have to wonder how many of them know the name so instantly. People are so fascinated by human bones and osteology, but how many of them feel that connection, that love and reverence and respect and fascination? If I'm going to be working on bones from the salvage excavation, I need to learn more about how I should be treating them. Ohlone funerary practices HERE I COME.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Wheaton's Law here or my wrath shall descend upon thee!!!